photos of the miners in picher ok

• Picher was the name of an Oklahoma town in Ottawa County that existed from 1918 to 2013. Its demise was the result of a slow-motion accumulation of devastating occurrences over …

• Mar 14, 2009· Chat Pile, Picher, OK Chat is the waste product of lead and zinc mining. Heavy mining in the town of Picher, OK has resulted in abandoned mine shafts and over 75 million tons of chat scattered about the town.

• At its peak in the 1920s, Picher was the center of the Tri-State Mining District, a rural area of Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri that was the lead and zinc capital of the world and boasted a ...

• Years of lead and zinc mining has turned Picher, Oklahoma, into a superfund site with sinkholes, lead-laced mountains of rock, and tainted water. (AP/Charlie Riedel) The chalky hills were a kind of town gathering point. The people of Picher, Oklahoma regularly picnicked there and rode bikes ...

• Picher, OK mines, mine companies, mine owners and mine information. US-Mining provides information on mines, operators, and minerals mined in Picher, OK

• As mining activity decreased, the population dropped steadily to 5,848 in 1940 and to 2,553 in 1960. Picher was the most productive mining field in the Tri-State Lead and Zinc District (Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri) and produced more than $20 billion in ore from 1917 to 1947.

• Picher Oklahoma: The Tragedy of a Ghost Town. Story by Danniel Parker on March 9, 2011 . Click on author name to view all articles by this author. ... The lead mines run underneath Picher, north to Treece Kansas and east to Joplin Missouri. ... Then she took after photos of the wreckage.

• Picher, Oklahoma is a ghost town, an industrial exclusion zone due to mining industry abuse, and part of the Tar Creek Superfund site.

• Thanks to all who have already contributed photos for this site. The Great Picher Mining District of Ottawa County, Oklahoma. For about 70 years, from about 1900 until 1970, lead and zinc mining began and ended in Ottawa County, Oklahoma. During the 1920s more money was made in Ottawa County than all the others in the state combined.

• Zinc mine. Picher, Oklahoma Contributor Names Rothstein, Arthur, 1915-1985, photographer Created / Published ... Photo, Print, Drawing Zinc smelter worker. Picher, Oklahoma 1 negative : nitrate ; 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 inches or smaller. ...

• photos of the miners in picher ok - babjiinternational.in Picher Mining- Dobson Museum. The Picher mining field was an extensive area that extended into the entire Tri-state area; however, the vast, majority of mining activity centered in and around Picher.

• Picher Oklahoma: a look inside the EPA’s “Most Toxic Town” ... No area was richer with these mineral riches than Picher, OK. Soon, the wealth of the mines was showing up all over the area like the 1929 Coleman Theatre in nearby MIami, OK, built with George Coleman’s mining fortunes. The boom, however, would eventually turn bust ...

• Picher, Oklahoma Picher started out as a lead and zinc mining field in the early 1900’s. It was the most productive mine in the area. More than the half of lead used in World War I came from the Picher mine.

• Ole Miners Pharmacy, Picher, Oklahoma. 57 likes · 18 were here. Pharmacy / Drugstore. Jump to. Sections of this page. ... Posts about Ole Miners Pharmacy. Corinne Cole was at Ole Miners Pharmacy. July 30, 2015 · Picher, OK · ... Photos. Near Ole Miners Pharmacy ...

• Cardin, Oklahoma is a toxic twin to Picher, rendered uninhabitable by mining industry abuse. In a piece by Sheila Stogsdill in the Tulsa World, November 17, 2010, (the link is no longer active) the population of Cardin is listed as zero. MJ Masilko snapped these photos of Cardin and neighboring Picher …

• 1 review of Ole Miners Pharmacy "I live in California been following up on the picher disaster. . I'm sorry for what has happened to the residents there. I've never been to picher but I shall one day..in my prayers Picher Oklahoma"

• Picher, Oklahoma, located in Ottawa County, was once a quaint little American mining community.The town, which sits just a quarter mile off of Route 66, was the national center of …

• Large mining equipment used to be on display inside a fenced in area on Connell St. in Picher, Ok. Displays such as this were created in area towns after the mines shut down about 1970 and the collections are getting so big that the museums are running out of space.

• Tri-State Mining District legacy in northeastern Oklahoma GINA C. M ANDERS AND JAMES S. A BER ... Kansas in 1876 and in Picher, Oklahoma in the first decade of the twentieth century (see Fig. 1) (Beyer ... Fig. 1). Included in the new book, Pictures from the Mining Era—Cardin-Picher, OK Area, is an article from the Miami Record Herald, August ...

• He followed generations of Oklahoma miners who provided the lead to fight two world wars. The work helped his family, but the mines were the death of his town. While he's moved a few miles away ...

• The old mining town of Picher, Oklahoma, just a week before it was struck by a tornado in May of 2008. Baseball Player Silhouette Impression of the most beautiful village of federal state Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, the village of Picher, Germany, 29 June 2010.

• Picher, OK was a mining town, and now there are only 10 families living there, according to the people at the pharmacy. This old truck just called for pictures. Bees were making a home in the open fuel tank.

• It’s truly grim when the Environmental Protection Agency deems your town the most toxic town in America, and that’s what they labeled the small town of Picher, Oklahoma. We’ve featured photos of this abandoned ghost town before, but this drone footage provides a disheartening aerial view of …

• Picher is a ghost town and former city in Ottawa County, Oklahoma, United States.This was a major national center of lead and zinc mining at the heart of the Tri-State Mining District.. More than a century of unrestricted subsurface excavation dangerously undermined most of Picher's town buildings and left giant piles of toxic metal-contaminated mine tailings (known as chat) heaped throughout ...

• Photo: Kelly/flickr. 6 of 14 ... 6 of 14. Picher, Oklahoma. ... residents didn’t leave until 2006 when it was discovered that the town was in imminent danger of collapsing into the mines. Picher ...

• Picher, Oklahoma Wired Magazine dubbed Picher, “America’s Most Toxic City” — and, as a former lead and zinc mining town and a current Superfund site, it certainly deserves the dubious honor. By the 63 percent of Picher’s children suffered lead poisoning.

• Picher, Oklahoma: The Biggest Environmental Disaster You’ve Never Heard Of ... and so did the metal mines in Picher. ... the former City Hall into a makeshift museum that's made up of photos he ...

• Picher, Oklahoma, sprang up as a 20th-century boomtown—the "buckle" of the mining belt that ran through Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri. Finlay MacKay

• Eagle Picher Mine, Cardin, Picher Field, Tri-State District, Ottawa Co., Oklahoma, USA : ALMOST THERE!. Help us with a final push needed to keep mindat.org running. ... Eagle Picher Mine, Cardin, Picher Field, Tri-State District, Ottawa Co., Oklahoma, USA. This page is currently not sponsored. Click here to sponsor this page. Display Photos ...

• Picher, Oklahoma sprung up almost overnight in the early 1900’s when lead and zinc ore were discovered. It quickly became a township and was incorporated in 1918. The Picher area became the most productive lead-zinc mining field in the area, producing more than $20 billion worth of …

• The Picher mining field was an extensive area that extended into the entire Tri-state area; however, the vast, majority of mining activity centered in and around Picher.

• The pharmacy, Ole Miners Pharmacy, was open Wednesday as customers called or visited. The business is the only one still open in Picher. "The good Lord …

• Picher was the most productive mining field in the Tri-State Lead and Zinc District (Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri) and produced more than $20 billion in ore from 1917 to 1947. Over 50 percent of the lead and zinc metal consumed in World War I came from the Picher Field.