canary in a coal mine meaning

• Nov 29, 2018· "Canary in a coal mine" refers to an early safety measure taken by coal miners. Early coal mines did not feature ventilation systems. Modern day carbon monoxide detectors serve as the "canaries in a coal mine" for homes with natural gas appliances.

• The thankless task of being the very first someone to take popular, through the training of coal miners of lowering a caged canary to see if there's dangerous gas below by Deedee Tittle Report definition

• Sep 20, 2018· canary in a coal mine (plural canaries in a coal mine or canaries in coal mines) ( idiomatic ) Something whose sensitivity to adverse conditions makes it a useful early indicator of such conditions; something which warns of the coming of greater danger or trouble by a deterioration in its health or welfare.

• Jun 29, 2008· The Police video of canary in a coalmine. The Police video of canary in a coalmine. Skip navigation Sign in. Search. Loading... Close. This video is unavailable. Watch Queue Queue.

• General CommentIn the olden days, miners who went deep into coal shafts used to carry a golden canary with them into the chambers below. The miners, usually people who had spent their entire lives in the depths of mining shafts, were unable to sense when toxic gasses were escaping from the walls.

• Synonyms for canary in a coal mine This thesaurus page is about all possible synonyms, equivalent, same meaning and similar words for the term canary in a coal mine. Wiktionary (0.00 / 0 votes) Rate these synonyms: canary in a coal mine (noun) Synonyms: miners canary.

• Sentinel species are organisms, often animals, used to detect risks to humans by providing advance warning of a danger. The terms primarily apply in the context of environmental hazards rather than those from other sources. ... The classic example is the "canary in the coal mine".

• Where we were: Interest rates have been rising, meaning that debt is getting more expensive. ... some worry that GE is the canary in the coal mine: Certainly, poor strategy in past years along ...

• Canary in a Coal Mine: Sovereign Measures to Shield Patents from PTAB Raise Great Concerns . ... That does not mean that patent owners enjoy immunity as to the government’s review of the patents ...

• Jun 15, 2007· Canary's were used in coalmines as an early warning for poison gas. If he suddenly dropped dead, it was time to get out. So being called a Canary in a coal mine, means your going to be the first to die as a warning to others

• canary in the coal mine - someone or something used to indicate when a situation might be turning dangerous; derived from when coal miners would take a canary down into the mines with them, canaries were very sensitive to any odorless noxious gases that might be released by mining, if the canary died the miners would know some gases had been released and they would evacuate the mine …

• The melting glacier is a canary in the coal mine for global warming. State Department/Doug Thompson. History Coal miners used to take canaries into coal mines with them. Canaries are more sensitive to dangerous gases than humans are. If the canary died, the miners knew there were dangerous gases present and would leave the mine.

• Jun 09, 2015· What does canary in a coal mine mean? A spoken definition of canary in a coal mine. Intro Sound: Typewriter - Tamskp Licensed under CC:BA 3.0 Outro Music: Groove Groove - Kevin MacLeod ...

• Wiktionary (0.00 / 0 votes) Rate this definition:. canary in a coal mine (Noun). A warning of danger or trouble yet to come. Origin: An allusion to caged canaries mining workers would carry down into the tunnels with them. If dangerous gases such as methane or carbon monoxide leaked into the mine-shaft, the gases would kill the canary before killing the miners.

• Throughout the 20th century, right up until the mid 1980’s, canaries were taken into underground coal mines as an early warning system for poisonous gasses. Canaries were chosen as they are more susceptible to airborne poisons such as carbon monoxide. Essentially if the canary grew ill or died it meant it was time to start evacuating humans.

• A canary in a coal mine is an advanced warning of some danger. The metaphor originates from the times when miners used to carry caged canaries while at work; if there was any methane or carbon monoxide in the mine, the canary would die before the levels …

• Mar 13, 2011· Early coal mines did not feature ventilation systems, so miners would routinely bring a caged canary into new coal seams. Canaries are especially sensitive to methane and carbon monoxide, which made them ideal for detecting any dangerous gas build-ups.

• Feb 02, 2009· What does the phrase "the canary in the coalmine" mean? 1 following . 10 answers 10. Report Abuse. ... Canaries were used in coal mines here in UK to detect poisonous gases underground. A canary was put into small cage which was attached to a pole. ... They used to put a canary down the mine to test for gas, better than putting a man ...

• canary-in-a-coal-mine definition: Noun (plural canaries in a coal mine) 1. (idiomatic) Something whose sensitivity to adverse conditions makes it a useful early indicator of such conditions; something which warns of the coming of greater danger or trouble by a det...

• Aug 06, 2017· canary in the coal mine (plural canaries in the coal mine or canaries in coal mines) Alternative form of canary in a coal mine 2006 , Al Gore, An Inconvenient Truth: The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can Do About It , Rodale (2006), →ISBN , page 176 :

• canary in a coal mine unknown The thankless task of being the first one to take a hit , from the practice of coal miners of bringing down a caged canary to see if there's dangerous gas below I don't know if this alleyway's safe , and I ain't no canary in a coal mine.

• ‘The prison guards are the canary in a coal mine of California politics.’ ‘To a certain extent, between MP3.com and Napster, digital music has become the canary in a coal mine in terms of privacy issues and business models.’ ‘The coastal communities are simply the canaries in the coal mine.’

• Jun 15, 2013· The Canary Initiative was so named because the City of Aspen views itself, and other communities which are economically dependent on winter snow for recreation and summer snow pack for water supply, as the “canary in the coal mine” of global warming.

• Canary birds are placed in coal mines to protect the lives of the miners. If the atmosphere becomes foul, the canary stops singing and begins to show unmistakable signs of distress. Then the miners know the atmosphere must be changed quickly or they must get out.

• The aforementioned stories may very well be legitimate, but let's consider them a sort of canary in the coal mine. Since retail can be the canary in the coal mine for the broader economy, there's real reason to be anxious. The disappearing logo might just be the canary in the coal mine signifying the dematerialization of music.

• Oct 13, 2008· "canary in the coal mine" means "early warning," and comes from the old times of coal mining when a canary in a cage was used to determine if there was a poisonous gas leak.

• On this day in 1986, a mining tradition dating back to 1911 ended: the use of canaries in coal mines to detect carbon monoxide and other toxic gases before they hurt humans. New plans from the ...

• canary-in-the-coal-mine definition: Noun (plural canaries in the coal mine) 1. ... Alternative form of canary in a coal mine.... Definitions. canary-in-the-coal-mine. Noun (plural canaries in the coal mine) Alternative form of canary in a coal mine. English Wiktionary. Available under CC-BY-SA license. Link/Cite Link to this page.

• The domestic canary, often simply known as the canary (Serinus canaria forma domestica), is a domesticated form of the wild canary, a small songbird in the finch family originating from the Macaronesian Islands (The Azores, Madeira and the Canary Islands).

• Wildlife in disaster movies assumes the role of the canary in a coal mine, fleeing the scene when catastrophe is imminent. Unaware that he had been given the test drug, John was used as a canary in a coal mine to see its effects on the human mind.

• "Canary In A Coalmine" First to fall over when the atmosphere is less than perfect Your sensibilities are shaken by the slightest defect You live you life like a canary in a coalmine You get so dizzy even walking in a straight line You say you want to spend the winter in Firenza

• Canary in a coal mine. Posted by ESC on November 28, 2001. In Reply to: Canary in a coal mine posted by JM Goethals on November 27, 2001: I know the meaning of the phrase, "canary in a coal mine", but I'm looking for the origin -- specifically, first usage (date, by whom, where?).

• Apr 22, 2017· "To act like the canary in the coal mine" is an idiomatic expression referring to the literal sense and situation of the canaries that were used in coald mines. As I understand, canaries were used, in the 19th C and early 20th C, in coal mines, not as pets or to keep company to the miners, but as zoological early-warning systems for toxic gases ...